Hate crime

Updated: 21 Oct 2018
You can report hate crime to a Neighbourhood Officer
Customer and estate warden
Hate crimes can take many forms, including:
  • racist incidents - attacks on the beliefs and identities of those who are perceived as being “different” because of their ethnic or cultural origins
  • sectarian/religious incidents - these could include any incident by one individual or a group against another on the basis of perceived religion or political opinion
  • homophobic incidents - these can include incidents, committed on those perceived as lesbians, gay men, bi-sexual or transgender
  • disability related incidents - people who have a physical disability or mental health issues can be more vulnerable to victimisation than others in society

Why should I report a hate crime?

Hate crime harms:
  • an individual
  • a victim’s community; and
  • your community.
Not many people report hate crimes, so it is difficult to estimate how big the problem is.  By reporting incidents of hate crime you are taking positive steps to improve our community.
If you are living on, visiting one of our estates and you experience or witness a hate crime, you should report the incidents, even if you do not want us to take any action.
A hate crime is a criminal offence so the police will investigate it and offer you advice and support.

Who can report hate crimes?

Anybody can report a hate crime, including:
  • the victim;
  • a witness; and
  • any other person who believes an incident is motivated by hate or prejudice.
You do not have to be a Housing Executive tenant to report a hate crime on one of our estates.

How can I report hate crime?

If you have experienced or witnessed an incident you need to contact your local district office.
You can do this by phoning, calling in person to the office, advising a Housing Officer or neighbourhood warden who may be in your area, or by sending a letter or emailing.  Complaints can also be made on your behalf by a relative, friend or representative.
If English is not your first language and you wish to report an incident of hate crime, your local district office has telephone translation facilities, which allows for reports to be made in many languages and alternative formats.
You should also contact the police:
We will deal with your report in confidence, investigate the matter and, with your agreement, take the appropriate action to end the problems you are experiencing:

Hate Crime Victim Support Advocacy Service

Victim Support Northern Ireland provides information and support for anyone affected by crime. Trained staff and volunteers provide free and confidential support and information to victims, witnesses, their family and friends. The PSNI now funds specialist Regional Advocacy Service for Victims of Hate Crime in partnership with Victim Support NI. Their role is to contact each victim and help signpost them to other services such as legal advice, housing issues, heath and psychological support.
Anyone who has been a victim of Hate Crime may contact Victim Support directly whether or not they report the incident to the PSNI.
For further details of the service and a list of the specialist Victim Support Advocates currently operating across Northern Ireland: