Handling personal information
Updated: 18 Aug 2018
The Housing Executive’s guidance on Data Protection concerns the collection and handling of personal information and applies to all personal information created or collected by the Housing Executive and its staff in the course of their daily work. The procedures for the collection and handling of personal information apply to all personal information created or collected by the Housing Executive and its staff in the course of their daily work.
The information includes:
- The names and other details of tenants, grant applicants, Housing Benefit claimants, employees, and other individuals with whom we do business;
- The names and other details of those who correspond with us or provide details during telephone calls;
- Information about contractors and suppliers of goods and services;
- Information held by managers about their staff, such as performance management information;
- Word processed documents, spreadsheets and databases which contain personal details such as names and addresses
- Emails, where either the person sending or receiving is identifiable or the contents refer to identifiable people
Collectively this personal information is called ‘personal data’ and the people it is about are called ‘data subjects’. The information is generally held in systems such as PRAWL, I-world (HB), Payroll and PSMS (Grants), Outlook mailboxes, and a range of other local specific databases ‘owned’ by other departments.
The general rule to be followed is to handle and use information about other people as carefully as you would wish information about yourself to be handled and used. These procedures are an expansion of that general rule.