Examples of adaptations
Updated: 12 Dec 2018
Housing adaptations for people with a disability are classified into two categories - major and minor.
Minor adaptations which don't need a referral
Examples of minor adaptations which do not require occupational therapist referral include:
- Handrail at front or rear entrance of dwelling
- Provision of whirly clothes line or path leading to clothes line
- Widening of paths around the property
- Defining steps for people with visual impairments
- Re-siting of coal bunkers
- Outdoor lighting
General internal adaptations
- Additional stair rail
- Changing door knobs to lever handles
- Lowering of Yale locks
- Re-siting of electrical sockets at a convenient level
- Additional power points
- Provision of rocker light switches
- Adjustments to or additional lighting
- Relocation of clothes hanging rails
- Accessible window openings
- Provision of letter cages or delivery shelves in entrance hall.
Kitchens and bathrooms
- Lowering or replacement of high wall hung cupboards
- Additional storage space in kitchen
- Lowering of cooker mains switch
- Installation of extractor fan with accessible controls.
Minor adaptations which need a referral
There are other minor adaptations which require referral to an occupational therapist for an assessment of your needs. Examples include:
- level access shower
- overbath shower
- provision of non-slip/tactile surface
- provision of storage space for wheelchair
- special baths
- special toilets
- step in shower
- widening doors for wheelchair access.
- Provision of intercom & door unlock systems.
- Paved areas for wheelchairs.
We are also responsible for carrying out certain major adaptations to tenants homes. Examples of major adaptations include:
- bathroom extensions (ground floor showers & W.C’s)
- bedroom extensions
- major internal rearrangements
- redesign or re-organisation of existing kitchen
- vertical through floor lifts.
Change of heating
If you require an adaptation which is not listed here, please contact your local district office for details of how to acquire this type of work.