Updated: 18 Nov 2018
New Social and Affordable Housing
- During 2017/18, in partnership with housing associations, we exceeded the target of 1,750 new social housing starts.
- We invested £110m enabling work to be started on a total of 1,759 units of accommodation.
- This was supplemented by £95m of private finance secured by our partner housing associations.
The high quality new homes currently under construction will help to meet a range of applicants’ needs for social housing, including those with general housing requirements (families and individuals) and people requiring specialist housing (such as clients with mental health issues, older people in need of care or housing support, vulnerable young people, etc.).
We also recorded completions on 1,507 new homes in 2017/18, exceeding our target of 1,200 completions.
Key schemes from the 2017/18 new build programme:
- Work commenced on phases two and three of Apex Housing’s on-going development at Galliagh, Derry/Londonderry, which will deliver a total of 332 new homes over the next three years.
- Clanmil Housing started work on 48 new homes at the site of the former Tesco on Carnmoney Road, Glengormley and 37 new homes at the former Downe Hospital site in Downpatrick.
- Radius Housing started work on 196 new homes at the former Visteon Factory Site in west Belfast, including 10 homes to full wheelchair standard. This will be a major mixed-use, mixed-tenure development, with Radius also developing affordable homes for sale and commercial units which will provide significant employment opportunities in west Belfast.
- Work commenced on almost 100 new homes in Newry at Carnagat Road (44 new homes by Habinteg) and Drumalane Road (52 new homes by Radius), a major boost for an area in which it has been traditionally difficult for associations to secure new development.
- Work started on 69 new homes to full Wheelchair Standard in 2017/18, the highest annual delivery in the past five years, although just short of the target number.
House and Land Sales
We continued to implement the House Sales Scheme, which provides an opportunity for tenants to own their home. During the year we sold 436 homes under the scheme compared to 402 the previous year, realising capital receipts of £18.3m.