Advice for new students

Updated: 18 Nov 2018
Student reading in a park
Once the  A-level results are out and sixth formers know which University they will be attending next year, it's important for them to find suitable accommodation for the new academic year.
Many students will move into University halls of residence, while others will seek accommodation in the private rented sector where most will be living in houses or flats which fit the definition of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).
A HMO is a house which is occupied by at least 3 people from different families and there is special legislation for HMOs which affect the students’ rights and responsibilities as tenants.
These properties are required to have suitable fire detection and alarm systems and other fire protection standards and equipment. They must also have sufficient washing and toilet and kitchen facilities.
Students should also be aware that the landlord must provide them with a form of written tenancy agreement or tenancy terms, and must also provide a rent book.
To help students find suitable accommodation we have set up a website ( where students can access a list of houses which are available for letting. This website is free to both landlords and student tenants.
In the website we have highlighted those HMOs which are “registered”. If a HMO is registered it means that it meets all the Fire Standards and other standards that apply. We therefore recommend that students should seek registered accommodation where possible.
The website also gives students advice on what to look for when renting a house and on the implications of signing a contractual document such as a tenancy agreement.
Further information on the Student Pad can be obtained from our HMO Central Unit ( or telephone number: 028 9031 8931.