£336 million invested in heating services
Published: Wed, 13 Dec 2017
The Housing Executive has announced one of its largest ever contracts awarded for the delivery of heating services to our tenants across Northern Ireland.
Over the next 8 years, our tenants will benefit from the £336million investment to upgrade their heating systems. The contract will also provide a comprehensive heating response maintenance service to include the servicing, repair and installation of all types of heating systems to its entire housing stock.
This will include enhanced response times and extended opening hours. The hours will be Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm and 8am until 2pm over the weekend.
As the Home Energy Conservation Authority for Northern Ireland, a key focus of our heating policy is to tackle fuel poverty. The replacement of old heating systems with new efficient systems will provide a cost effective way to keep tenants warm throughout the year..
The contract, which began in November this year has been awarded to:
- H&A Mechanical Services – covering South West; South (Fermanagh & Omagh) and Mid Ulster, Causeway (Causeway Coast and Glens), Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon and West (Derry City & Strabane)
- Carillion Energy Services – covering Belfast (North, South, East and West), Antrim and Newtownabbey and Mid and East Antrim
- Greenview Gas – South (North Down, South Down and Ards), Greater Belfast (Lisburn & Castlereagh)
The contract will potentially run up to 8 years, until 2025. The seven various aspects that will be covered by the new heating service contract will be:
- The installation of new heating appliances (including survey, design, cost estimate and technical support for tenant consultation) or replacement as appropriate.
- A comprehensive heating maintenance service
- A planned service to heating appliances and systems.
- Renewable Technologies (e.g. solar panels)
- Other works required to ensure the Housing Executive meets its statutory obligations (Energy Performance Certificates, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, roof space insulation, etc.)
- Disabled heating adaptations
- Change of Tenancy heating works and service
Speaking following the awarding of the contract, our Director of Asset Management Paul Isherwood said:
“This is one of the largest contracts ever awarded by the Housing Executive and is a clear indication of our commitment to delivering quality services to all of our tenants.
“This contract will help tackle fuel poverty, by providing efficient heating systems for our tenants across Northern Ireland.
“Through our contract management processes, we will ensure that the services delivered will meet the required quality and performance. We are confident the partners chosen will carry out the work to a high standard and deliver excellent customer satisfaction.
“The significant investment from the Housing Executive is not only improving people’s homes but also delivering quality services to our tenants.
Kieran Adams, Operations Director, Carillion Energy Services said:
“We are delighted that the Housing Executive is leading the way in their commitment to delivering for their customers.
“We look forward to working with the Housing Executive in tackling fuel poverty and building on the long term relationships established over many years”
Michael Burke from Greenview Gas added:
“We are delighted to have been awarded the heating services contracts in the Greater Belfast and South areas.
“We look forward to working in partnership with the Housing Executive to deliver the highest level of service to all the Housing Executive’s tenants in these areas.”
Contracts Director From H&A Mechanical Services Martin Collins added:
"H&A Mechanical Services are delighted to have been awarded the Heating Contract for the South West , South , Mid Ulster , Causeway and West areas and look forward to working in partnership with the Housing Executive in delivering “a best in class” service
"The award of the Contract will give confidence to our existing workforce of over 300 people; indeed in the coming months we would envisage further growth and skillsets being required and importantly it allows us to continue to invest in our apprenticeship programme in the coming years.
"Continued investment in our business has been vital in taking H&A forward in an increasingly challenging market, focusing on continuous improvement and innovative practices. Our real time reporting, facilitated through a state of the art IT system is just one of the tools which allows us to deliver solutions focused on our Clients and Tenants needs
"We look forward to working with the Housing Executive and their tenants over the term of the Contract."